A first time manager training program has many components. It is a common question that candidates ask, “What makes a training program effective?” While there are many factors, there are some clear features that are consistent in the best training programs. Here are some of them. Check out—
- Program Management – The key to a quality training program is a person who is actually a champion. This person is called the Program Manager. A program manager should be curious, open-minded, and motivated to help their organization develop and execute the training program in the best possible manner. Other skills required include problem solving, business acumen and communication. Based on the needs of an organization, you can decide on the skills you want in your program manager. It is also great to find a program manager who is able to motivate others to take action. Program managers who are life-long learners, and always striving to improve themselves, will lead by example.
- Identifying needs – As a company, you should be able to identify the organization’s needs before you can get started. Here is where curiosity kicks in. With some curiosity and proper research, you will easily be able to identify and assess your organization’s needs. You can do this through interviews, and other assessments. The core of any training program that is successful is accurately identifying who needs to be trained and for how long in what areas. The difference between the current performance of your employees and what is required to meet future goals is called the training need. Training can help first time managers achieve their professional goals as well as the goals of the company. Talking to managers is a great way to find out what they actually want from the training.
- Alignment – Once the needs have been identified, they should be aligned with all other aspects of the organization. You should create a program that addresses problems within the organization and supports business goals. This model will help your first time managers to understand the training and be supported by their superiors. The most important part is the organization’s impact. It is not a good idea to just do something for the sake of it. Create the purpose and understand it. You will be able to organize a successful training program only by successfully aligning your training program with your organizational goals. How will the training help your first time managers? Will they be able to bring any kind of value to the table. It’s important to make sure you get a return on your investment.
- Goals and Metrics – Although training can be hard to quantify, it’s important to try to measure its effectiveness in some way or the other. Make sure you consider metrics such as training quality, time, cost, and effectiveness. To evaluate the progress of the program, you will need to create a benchmarking strategy. You also need to ensure that reports and data are readily available so you can access the information you need whenever needed. You should set aside time to review, analyze, and monitor progress towards your goals on a regular basis. This will enable you to be flexible and change your training strategy as necessary.
- Leadership support – This is another important characteristic of good first time manager training solutions. Leadership support is essential to realize a program’s objectives and help with accountability. It also helps establish expectations. When leaders show involvement, trainees receive a great deal of motivation. They also start to attach a lot more importance to the training program. However, when leaders get involved, they want to ensure that the programs they support are helping others and serving a purpose. And it is this desire that makes training programs successful.
- Relevant Content – Providing useful content is key to a successful training program. This will ensure that learners stay engaged and return for more. Modern learners are busy, distracted and overwhelmed. Besides, they have little time. And that is why it is crucial to tailor content to their needs. Your managers should find the content useful and relevant to their daily tasks. The learning from the content should help them expand their minds. It should also include quick tips that can be used immediately.
- Creativity – Programs with a creative hook are more valuable and engaging than those without. Your training launch program can have a theme. It can be simple and interesting at the same time. Creativity should also be employed while training the candidates. Instead of focusing on the study modules alone, try to ensure great learning outcomes by using different training techniques. Training need not always be boring, with the right training approach it not just becomes valuable but also memorable for the trainees.
- Marketing and Communication – A marketing strategy is an integral component of your program’s implementation. Marketing plans are not just for the initial launch, but should also include strong ongoing efforts throughout the course of the program. When creating your marketing plan, keep in mind your program goals and success criteria. Then tie your activities to these goals. Your first time managers should be given a clear overview of the program along with the expected outcomes through proper communication. It is important to explain the WHY behind everything with regard to the training. This will allow employees to understand what the training means for them.
- Post Training Reinforcement – Many companies spend thousands of dollars each year on training programs but do nothing in the name of post training reinforcement. However, this is an indispensable step of the training process because managers will eventually forget the learning they have received. The content too could get lost over time. Training reinforcement is a series of lessons that reinforce all core concepts. With reinforcement, your managers will not only remember the content better, but will also be able to use it on a day to day basis.
There are many factors to consider when building a successful first time manager training program. So, choose a training partner that is committed to your training’s success and will work through each element to ensure that you create and maintain successful training programs.