Texting customers, clients, colleagues, and others have become mainstream business behavior. With its regular use, there are high chances of abuse. It is not wise to text solely because you can. One should not text just for themselves, but only when people need or want to hear from them and make it convenient for clients.
Tips to Follow
Below are some etiquettes that every business owner should follow while sending texts. Most importantly, it should be professional and polite.
- Permission- First and foremost, one needs to get permission before starting to texting people. Just like you may ask a person which contact number to use and whether they can be contacted at home, similarly ask them if it is fine to text. After all, not everyone desires others to have ready access when it comes to their attention both day and night.
- Send Text at Normal Business Hours-Avoid texting customers or colleagues when they are asleep. The communication should be made convenient both for the sender and the receiver. No Same Message- One should avoid communicating the same message through phone, email, and text. Single touch indeed is enough unless it is an urgent message. The best approach will be to select the finest messaging medium and sticking to the same. To know more, contact SimpleTexting.
- Add name in the Message-One should make it a point to include their name at the start or end of their text except if their identity is obvious. Unless clients and customers have added you in their list of contact, they will automatically only see their contact number and not their name. Avoid making them guess regarding who is messaging them.
- Remain Courteous- To stay courteous through a positive tone and greeting such as thank you and please resting on the message will be a great move.
- Decide to communicate at all or Text– One needs to ask them whether they require communicating at all or texting. Using technology only because they can is a big no.
- Be Cautious during a Group Text- When it comes to a group text, one should be cautious and think twice before texting. Group texting may make the recipients annoyed when they keep on getting notifications. In case of emails, reply to all will indeed have mobiles pinging and vibrating with just a single word text such as thanks and okay. That may frustrate recipients, particularly if they are not acquainted with others present in the group. Social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and also emails may work wonders with regards to communicating to project participants, members, and a group of students.
- Proofread- Most importantly, one should proofread a message before sending it. As it is a written medium, it is crucial to make the same easy for the associates to read them. The best step will be in slowing down and approving the words written on the screen before sending it.
- Professionalism is Key- XO, and emojis are ideal for communications with relatives and friends, yet while texting at work, the message will be a professional communication. Who would add a beating heart in red or a smiley face in yellow on a resume? It is only when the relationship with the client is friendly; emojis may be ideal in the text. This needs to be selected intentionally and not become a constant feature.
- End the Communication- One needs to ensure that the communication comes to an end. It is not necessary for having the emoji or the last word. After developing a comfortable bond by email or in person, it is always good to ask their communication preference and allow that to be their guide. Using a text message must never be one’s initial contact with business associates.
- Consider Timing- It is always wise to limit texting within works hours. One cannot call any client with great ideas before going to bed. Texting after-hours indicates urgency, so one needs to wait until the following business day for relaying their message.
- It Should be Brief- Through voice-to-text capabilities, sending lengthy, rambling messages is easy. If the message is more than several sentences in length, dropping an email or giving a call is indeed a better choice. A long text, along with getting broken, also defeats the tool’s purpose that is communicating short messages promptly.
- Avoid Texting Confidential News– SMS is never the venue of conveying difficult or delicate information. Akin to other digital communication, one should be careful regarding what they type. They should remember that their words can live forever in the screenshot. The moment you hit the send button; this will go out of their control.
- Send Specific, Clear Information-An SMS will not allow for subtleties. It is good to use texts exclusively for information which has minimal scope for misinterpretation. Always avoid witty remarks or humor devoid of enough context, as one’s message may get lost within translations.
- Prompt Reply- SMS conveys the sense of immediacy. The moment a person gets a message from their boss or a client, they should respond timely. On the contrary, when the text is emotional; one should give them enough time in thinking their response through. Texting’s speed is what people love, yet one should not allow it to work against them.
- Put this Away- Remaining glued to the phone will take away from their professional image as well as making it quite distracting. Just as you will not check your mail every few seconds, they should give their mobile a rest to observe their environment as well as engage with others.
- Gracefully Sign Off– There are some text messages which can continue, with both parties not wanting to become the first in closing the conversation. After you reach the goal of communication, it is wise to exchange with clear departures, as a promise in following up soon or a thank you.
Text messages have turned immensely common, especially in the business for their efficiency, speed, and convenience. So, make the most of it.